Tuesday, November 28, 2006

"describe this board in front of you. this board. the dry-erase board." - connell

1. The board is long.

2. The board is long. The board is white. The board is white and long.

3. The board, the long and white one? It's missing.. something. Words, perhaps? Yeah. That's it.

4. So that very same board, it's lame. Boring, even. It makes up approximately 60% of the most insipid and utterly unattractive wall in this room. Yet it's the one we seem to stare at day after day..

5. I've got a feeling that this board is trying to talk to me. About my life, that is. You might say that I'm crazy. But I'm not. And I'm not in denial either. The smudgemarks and the erasers symbolize the many, yes, many, mistakes I have made and will undoubtedly continue to make in my life. The half-empty (or perhaps half-full, depending on your perspective) bottle of board cleaner stands tall and proud next to the limp rag. It reminds me of a soldier, standing tall and stiff, ready to go into battle, which might not be the best possible place to be in, but that soldier's not going to give up. He's going to go in there and fight for want he believes in. And the bottle of board cleaner is going to do that too. He just wants to make things better. He tries to erase the mistakes and smudges that the erasers leave behind. But the erasers aren't the ones creating the mistakes. They place blame on the two markers. The green and the red. If I had to guess I would say that the red is causing the majority of the mistakes, or perhaps, trying to correct them. The green is happy, content. The red, though, is angry. While they battle it out in my mind, I glance upon the right upper-hand corner of the board, and I see old Edgar Allan Poe just hanging out. Literally. Chilling? His trusty dark, demon crow at his side. Or more on his arm. And there he hangs. In a black suit. Against a white board. Rather contrasting if you ask me. Life is black and white. There you go. You might call it bumbling? On the bottom right-hand corner of the board is a tag, possibly warning children not to eat markers or smell fumes. But more than likely not. It has a green mark on it. Which, now that I've spent so much time studying the board, will probably bother me for the remainder of my time in this classroom. Ever. Finally, the pathetic yet almost engaging snowflakes hanging all crooked and confused above the board remind me to just be a kid again, forget about all this high school nonsense and just have fun. High school blows. Grades blow, classes blow, the SAT blows. Friendships blow (and even blow UP), wearing cheerleading warmups to school two days a week blows, Ashley Ann's gravel personality blows, and Connell's hearty attempt but obvious fail to sneeze blows. It blows. But the snowflakes are there to tell us that if we take everything a little lighter, a little more elementary, then maybe, just maybe, we'll be able to appreciate the little smudges in life just a little more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home